Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Butterick 6974 - Boy's Bath Robe **(Note correction on Construction details)

I made this bath robe for my son using Butterick 6974, a 1980's pattern. It is so comfy. He loves to snuggle up in it. I used plush fleece sofa throws for the material. It feels very luxurious. You should have seen my floor. This material really sheds when you cut into it. To help prevent further shedding once it was sewn, on the inside, I first sewed two rows of stitching, then zig zagged the edges. For that professional finished look, I top stitched the outside of the robe. And voila, a handsome robe for a handsome boy.

****CORRECTION: I remembered wrong how I did the construction of this robe. It was late when I did this post. So sorry. Actually, what I did on the inside is I finger pressed the seams open. Then on the outside, I topstitched with a double needle right over the seams, checking often that the seams stayed open and flat, so that the inside seams would lie nice and flat and there would be less bulk around all of the seams since the material is so thick. Click on the picture for a close-up view of the double needle top stitching. I love the look.









9 comments:

  1. Trudy, that robe looks so soft and wonderful. And your little boy looks very handsome in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the robe I want for myself!!!!! Looks great,I am going to try and make one this winter. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That robe looks so comfy! Your son is too cute. What a wonderful little model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that robe!! It does look luscious! Your kids are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son looks so adorable in that robe - the fabric looks really cozy and I love the color, just right for a young man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heart-breaker he's going to be! I love to see sewing for little boys. There isn't a lot of it, so I enjoy what there is put out there. I have little grandsons who I need to get sewing for. Nice job on the robe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The robe looks great. gwensews is right - heart-breaker in the making. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trudy .- very interesting, sewing for children. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...