Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cleaning Clothing Iron - Getting off Starch & Sizing

This question came from one of my readers:

I am just loving your blog. Fun! I have a question for you. I had to use spray starch when ironing last week and I got some on my iron. How do I get that nasty black stuff off? It is getting on the other clothes when I ironed this week!--Shannon

To get spray starch or sizing off of your iron clothing iron, here are some things you can try:

1. Heat the iron to a nonsteam, medium heat before cleaning. Sprinkle a generous layer of table salt over a brown grocery bag (use one that has no writing on the top surface). The salt is abrasive and will remove residue. Iron over the salt to remove starch and debris from the surface of the iron.

2. Set the iron for dry ironing (no steam) and maximum temperature. When good and hot, rub it firmly on a wet terry cloth towel. The gunk will steam off the iron and transfer to the towel. This is better than steel wool pads, which can get rust and soap gunk down into the steam vents which will release on clothing later.

3. While iron is cold, use an SOS pad to clean it; then buff it up and it will look brand new.

4. Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog...I might not have found you otherwise. This is a great tip - I've always used the purchased iron cleaner but I think I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salt worked like a charm! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help. Thanks for sharing how well it worked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...