Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Retro Skirt of My Own Design With Tutorial

And here's my new skirt from the fabric I was so fortunate to receive from Molly. Thanks, Molly! I love it. It has a wonderful retro look and feel to it. The skirt is of my own design. Below is a little tutorial on how I did it. It's quick and easy and something you can do in about 15 to 25 minutes. So if you need a quick skirt, grab some cute fabric and go for it. I'm off to do a photo shoot. I'll show you Monday what a fun skirt this is to wear. *Update: Photo Shoot is now complete. Go here to see the photos.

First of all I decided how long I wanted the final length to be and cut off the excess. I also cut off a strip to use for the waistband since the is knit and has a bit of stretch to it. Otherwise, I could have used a piece of wide elastic on which to attach the skirt portion. If you use cotton or something other knit to makes yours, use wide elastic for the waistband. You don't even have to make a casing. Just sewing the the pleated or gathered skirt to the bottom inside portion of your elastic tube. Be sure to use the zig zag stitch so your stitches don't pop when stretched.
I measured just above my hips where I would like the skirt to sit and cut the waistband strip to that measurement and sewed together the ends with right sides together to make a tube.
I cut the width of the skirt portion to be about 1 1/2 times the width of my body. Then sewed it into a tube right sides together. The seam will be the back center seam.
Here are the two tubes, waistband and body of the skirt.
Then I folded and pinned the top of the skirt into little pleats all the way around. You could gather the top edge instead of pleating it by sewing two long basting stitches along the top and pulling the threads to gather. Then pin and stitch so your gathers don't come out.
Continue making pleats until the skirt is the same width around as your waistband. Then straight stitch over your pleats along the top, two rows a quarter of an inch apart to make sure the pleats do not come out. The turn the waistband inside out, lay it over the top edge of the skirt right sides together matching up your seams and stitch the edges together.
Flip the waistband up and turn under the top edge a quarter of an inch and stitch. And  that's it.  I didn't hem the bottom of the skirt since knit doesn't fray.
Thanks for looking. I'm off to do a photo shoot now and will show you how fun it is to wear this skirt on Monday. See you then.

16 comments:

  1. Nice job, Trudy, and a great tutorial as well. It does look very retro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute...but I would need the lines going the other way, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luv IT!! As always you've done an awesome job:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute skirt! I can't wait to see how you wear it. It looks like it would be a very versatile number to have in the wardrobe...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty skirt - it shows off that beautiful fabric perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not be sewing a skirt and i did not go through that post very deep,but the images are really good and 'engaging' the readers. I like your blog and they way you have set the contents in it.

    I wish to suggest your to get a domain of your own like www.TrudyCallan.com or .info or .name etc

    then it will help you promote your blog.

    by the way its wonderful to have 232 followers.

    I will be voting for your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that is one awesome print! I love it, it's so bold! I can't wait to see how you are going to wear this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable! What a great print too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trudy--I love this tutorial!! And the great fabric!! Wow-super colors. :o)

    I'm blogging on the road but wanted to say thanks for dropping by. You are such a sweet friend. :o) I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice! I looked forward to see how to wear it.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is another great tutorial, Trudy. I really like your photos and the way you cut to the chase. Clear and concise. Beautiful job, beautiful skirt from some beautiful and fun fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trés joli tissu, j'aime beaucoup.
    Congratulations for your blog.

    Have a good day.
    Isabelle from france.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! It looks super comfortable, and it looks like you all had a great time taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Trudy!

    Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments today! Hi!

    Thanks for adding the button to the Over 40 Bloggers I added your blog to the list!!

    Thanks for joining the party!

    Hope you get lots of followers from it!

    I didn't have any problems commenting here! A OK!!

    I posted a follow up comment about the modeling under your comments! If you need any more help, just let me know as I'd be glad to help you!

    See you for the Follow Friday 40 and Over Blog Hop!

    Java

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great piece! I tried something similar once with a drawstring. And I intend to do more since it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...